Login Area


Close Login


Legal Requirements Home / Legal Requirements

LEGAL REQUIREMENTS (lettings legislation & safety regulations)

We take safety regulations and legislation very seriously because it helps to protect both landlords and tenants. Find out more on Landlords safety responsibilities. Some of the main safety regulations are summarized below:

Gas safety

An annual check must be carried out by a qualified Gas Safe Registered engineer to ensure that all gas appliances, pipes and flues are in safe working order. Find out more on Gas Safety

Electrical safety

Landlords are required to ensure that property’s electric system and any electrical devices left in the property are safe for use. This can be done by having a qualified engineer carry out an Installation Survey and Portable Appliance Testing (PAT). Read more about electrical safety.

Furniture and furnishing regulations

In order to reduce fire risk, any furniture that you provide with the property must be fire resistant and have suitable labels displaying compliance.

Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarms (for England only)

Landlords must install at least one working smoke alarm on every storey of their properties at the start of the tenancy. A carbon monoxide alarm must also be installed in every room which contains a solid fuel burning appliance, like a wood burning stove, a coal fire, an open fire place or where biomass is used as fuel. Read more on smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.

Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)

The housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS) applies to properties in England and Wales. It is a risk-based evaluation tool to help local authorities identify and protect against potential risks and hazards to health and safety from any deficiencies identified in dwellings. Find out more on HHSRS.


Landlord must ensure that tenants’ water supply is safe from Legionella – find out more ‘about Legionella.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

All tenant’s deposits must be protected and registered with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. At Househunter, we register the Tenancy Deposits with The Dispute Service Ltd and provide the tenants with all accompanying documentation. Read more on TDS

Energy Performance Certificate (EPCs)

Landlords are required to obtain a new Energy Performance Certificate every ten years, which provides details about the property’s energy efficiency, from a suitably qualified assessor before the property is let. Letting agents are required to display this EPC when the property is being marketed. Read more on EPCs

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If your property is at least 3 storeys high and you let your property to at least 3 tenants who form more than one household and they share toilet, bathroom or the kitchen with other tenants, then your house is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO).  Read more about HMO regulations.

‘How to Rent – the checklist for renting in England’

Tenant must be given a How to Rent Checklist at the start of their tenancy which advises tenants on practical issues surrounding letting a property. Click here for a copy of the How To Rent Guide.

Right to Rent checks

From February 2016, the law requires that the landlord or letting agent must check that any tenants aged 18 or over is legally entitled to rent your residential property. At Househunter we always do this as part of our Referencing procedure.

Income tax

Any income that landlords generate from letting their property could be taxable, even if you are an overseas landlord. See Inland Revenue’s website: https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax for more information on tax.




Want a FREE rental valuation?

Why not call us for a FREE no obligation rental valuation
or to discuss any other way that we may be able to help you.

Wish you could switch agents?

If you are being paid late or getting a poor service, call us for a chat and see that not all agents are the same